LL.M. and MA in Sustainable International Development
- Address: 416 Huntington Avenue, Boston, MA 02115
- Administrative Contact: LLM and International Programs
- Administrative Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: (617) 373-8546 or (617) 373-6970
- Website: http://www.northeastern.edu/la...
- Director: Patrick Cassidy
- Director Email: email@example.com
- Master of laws (LL.M.)
- Starting date: May
- Tuition Fee: $46,400.00 USD
- Language: English
- Program type: Full-time
- Duration: 2 years
- Specialization: General law; Common Law
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. You should receive a decision letter within four weeks of our receipt of your complete application materials.
A complete file should include:
- This complete NUSL LLM Application Form
- A Résumé or Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- A two-page Personal Statement of Purpose written by you
- Two letters of recommendation
- Official transcripts in a sealed envelope
- Credential evaluation of your international first professional law degree transcript (if applicable)
- An official score report for the Internet-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL iBT®) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
The LLM+MA-SID program requires the completion of 33 quarter credits at NUSL and 32 semester credits at Heller:
- At NUSL, LLM+MA-SID candidates must complete a substantive program of upper-level legal courses relevant to development in areas such as trade, environment, human rights, poverty and economic development, health, immigration, labor, intellectual property, social change and/or public international law.
- At Heller, LLM+MA-SID candidates must complete all required courses and a minimum of 32 semester credits in one year in residence (two semesters).
- Co-op: All LLM+MA-SID students in good academic standing will complete a full-time legal practice experience (co-op) and a development practicum or a combined law co-op-/development practicum. Northeastern and Heller have developed placement opportunities with law firms, companies, nonprofits, government agencies, community organizations and NGOs around the world. Where you do your co-op, development practicum or combined co-op/development practicum is up to you. The LLM Professional Development Advisor, Meredith Aherne, and your practicum advisor at Heller will work with you to define where you want to go and refine how you present your qualifications. Together, you will find the opportunity that best meets your unique goals.
- Independent Research and Writing: All LLM+MA-SID candidates identify a topic relating to sustainable development they are interested in exploring in the form of an independent research project and paper. An NUSL and/or a Heller faculty who share(s) your area of interest will provide the necessary supervision, either in conjunction with a seminar or in the context of an independent study. During your final term of study you will present your paper and participate in a capstone seminar/presentation, integrating your learning from both a legal and a sustainable development perspective.
Examples of Brandeis Courses in the Program
- Economics for Management and Social Policy
- Frameworks for Development
- Gender Analysis in Development Planning
- Leadership and Organizational Behavior
- Micro-Enterprise Development and Finance
- Natural Resources Management
- Religion and Development
- Rights-Based Approach to Development
- Social Entrepreneurship
- Sustainable Energy: Technology and Economics
- Theory and Analysis of Social Policy
- World Health
Please click here for more information.