3. Subscribers: 1
Posted by
achir.bajaj
May 4th at 7:05pm
Posted by
achir.bajaj
May 4th at 7:05pm
Hello,

I am an Indian law student, seriously considering an LLM. Yet, after much research, one major question remains : general or specialized LLM ?

I am very interested in commercial law, yet wouldn't it be more interesting to have a variety of subjects for an LLM, and therefore choosing an general LLM ? What do you recommend ? Have any of you chosen a commercial law LLM, to then regret not to have chosen a general LLM ? Does it depend on the university you choose ? Its ranking ? Its subjects ?

Thank you for any help and advise,
Achir
Posted by
charlie.hughues
May 4th at 7:17pm
Posted by
charlie.hughues
May 4th at 7:17pm
Good question, Achir. And this is a question many ask.

All things considered, and I think most will agree with me on this, the choice really depends on what sort of law you want to do. If you feel that commercial law is really what you like, I'd go with the specialized LL.M. Also this will show potential employers that you wanted to practice in this particular field for a while.

Yet, if your desire to work in this field is uncertain, I recommend you choose a general LLM.

Therefore, if you are sure of your desire to work with commercial law, then specialize, if uncertain, go for general. Good luck !
Posted by
MirnaRo
July 23rd at 4:25pm
Posted by
MirnaRo
July 23rd at 4:25pm
Hi!

I think the choice depends on several factors but three are the most important 1) what interests you 2) where do you see yourself in ten years and 3) what the market needs. Regarding the first one, if you're generally into commercial law, that's a vast area and if choose only a very narrow (i.e. purely US commercial law) specialized program, you might miss out on a lot. Personally, I did a general LL.M. and then chose mostly the courses that had sth to do with international trade (so WTO,EU Law etc.) but also some fields that are neigbouring but relevant like antitrust. Never regretted it. Regarding the second criterion, you need to think if you'll be equally interested in commerical law in ten years. Maybe you want to cast your net a bit wider to allow for more flexibility later on. Finally, regarding the third criterion, there are always some subjects that will render you more employable than others (that also depends on a type of legal job you want to do) so do ask around what is ''hot'' on the market you wish to work in.

Hope this helped a bit!