17th Annual Perfect Your PPSA Skills
Date & Time
Course [In Person & Webcast]
November 16, 2016
9:00 a.m. - 4:45 p.m. EST
Workshop [In Person]
November 17, 2016
9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
The Personal Property Security Act is a highly technical piece of legislation demanding that those working it have a detailed understanding of its rules and requirements. Failure to understand and comply with the Act can have serious consequences for your clients.
Your clients are relying on you to protect their security interests. Are you prepared? The Personal Property Security Act is highly technical, and legal professionals who work with it must have a detailed understanding of its rules and requirements.
Now in its sixteenth year, OsgoodePD’s practical one-day PPSA program has been designed to give you an in-depth understanding of what you need to know to properly protect your client’s security interests. Experienced practitioners will take you through the PPSA, using practical examples and “hands-on” exercises to help you navigate this complex legislation.
This course will cover:
- Overview of the PPSA and the “what”, “when” and “how” of attachment
- The principle elements of financing statements, acknowledgements and searches
- Differences in PPSA legislation in the common law provinces
- How to examine a PPSA response certificate
- Exceptions to the “first come, first served” priority rules
- Fundamental registration issues and relevant case law
- Key elements of the Securities Transfer Act and taking security in investment property
- Real property issues and the PPSA
- The basic elements of an opinion: enforceability, creation of a valid security interest perfection and more
- Richard M. Borins, Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP
- Ben Leith, McCarthy Tétrault LLP
- Michael Bertrand, Goodmans LLP
- Liliana Carpico, Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Fees include attendance, program materials, continental breakfast, lunch and break refreshments.
OsgoodePD offers group rates for both on site and webcast formats. Please note these are only available when registering for members of the same organization, at the same time, and payment is made with one invoice.
We will make every effort to present the certificate program as advertised, but it may be necessary to change the dates, location, speakers or content with little or no notice. In the event of program cancellation, York University and Osgoode Hall Law School’s liability is limited to reimbursement of paid fees.
Cancellations and Substitutions
Substitution of registrants is permitted at any time. If you are unable to find a substitute, a full refund is available if a cancellation request is received in writing 14 days prior to the program date. If a cancellation request is made with less than 14 days notice, a $75 administration fee will apply. No other refund is available.
In the event you experience technical difficulties, please contact email@example.com for assistance.
If you have any questions or would like more information please contact: