LL.M. in Compliance and Regulation
- Address: Faculty of Law, 10/F, Cheng Yu Tung Tower, Centennial Campus, The University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam Road, Hong Kong
- Phone: (852) 3917 2953
- Website: http://www.law.hku.hk/postgrad...
- : Prof. Douglas Arner
- : firstname.lastname@example.org
- Master of laws (LL.M.)
- Starting date: September
- Tuition Fee: 15,000 - 20,000 USD
- Language: English
- Program type: Part-time; Full-time
- Duration: 1 year; 2 years
- Specialization: Rule of Law and Development
The LLM in Compliance and Regulation seeks to build on the Faculty’s existing strengths and successes while at the same time catering to the needs and demands of the Hong Kong, Mainland and global financial, professional and business services sector for education in the area of compliance and regulation.
With the globalization of finance, employment in the financial sector has likewise increased, with the most significant growth from the 1990s in the area of regulation and compliance – functions tasked with addressing regulatory requirements in the context of financial sector governance. In the wake of the 2008 global financial crisis, compliance and regulation has been the most rapidly growing segment of the financial services industry around the world.
Hong Kong during this period has emerged as one of the world’s leading international financial centres, typically ranked the third or fourth most significant globally (after London and New York). As a result, the financial services sector is one of Hong Kong’s pillar industries and a major source of employment. In the context of financial, professional and business services, compliance and regulation has seen very high growth since the mid-1990s. While as recently as the early 1990s, in-house legal and compliance teams were very small, today they are often larger than the largest international law firms, both globally and in the context of operations in Hong Kong. This growth continues to put pressures on employers in Hong Kong who are continually seeking new talent for ever increasing regulatory and compliance roles.
Applicants must comply with the General Regulations and fulfil at least one of requirements (1) or (2) below AND requirement (3)
(1) hold a degree of Bachelor of Laws with at least second class honours or an equivalent qualification accepted by the University for this purpose; or
(2) have obtained either the Common Professional Examination of England and Wales or the Common Professional Examination Certificate of this University, provided that in either case a second class honours degree or a qualification of equivalent standard of this University or another comparable institution accepted for this purpose has also been obtained.
(3) for a candidate who is seeking admission on the basis of a qualification from a university or comparable institution outside Hong Kong of which the language of teaching and/or examination is not English, shall satisfy the Faculty English language requirement with one of the following recognized English tests:
(i) Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): A score of 593 or above (paper-based test) or 97 or above (internet-based test)
(ii) International English Language Testing System (IELTS): An overall band score of 7 or above with no subtest below 6.5
The test score report is valid for two years for admissions purpose.